Noise Induced Hearing Loss (NIHL)
We experience sounds every day such as traffic, vacuum cleaners, kettles, conversation etc. these are normally at safe levels and therefore do not damage our hearing however, when sounds exceed those safe levels they can be harmful. We may only experience harmful noise for a short period but these sounds could still damage the sensitive structures in the inner ear. It can take a long time before we notice any hearing loss; it could be temporary or permanent and could affect either one or both ears. It is very probable that you won’t be immediately aware of any damage to your hearing however you could have trouble hearing in the future. This could mean, for example, not being able to understand other people, especially on the phone or in a noisy room. Whatever way it may affect you one thing is certain, noise-induced hearing loss is preventable.
Did you know?
· Noise levels over 85 decibels can result in damage to your hearing
· Loud noise can also cause tinnitus—a ringing, buzzing, or roaring in the ears or head
· A Claims Working Party including the Government and Association of British Insurers has been set up to investigate the rise in claims for NIHL.
· Claims for NIHL have risen by an estimated 250% between 2010 and 2013
· Total NIHL costs incurred by insurers by notification were £83million in 2010 rising to £360million in 2014
· Average claimant legal costs per claim were three times greater than damages paid
· Poorly fitted ear plugs can result in little or no noise protection.
· One to one fit training for ear plugs has been proven to significantly increase noise protection levels.
Want to know more?
Scorpion Safety Limited are available to provide you with health and safety support, whether you are looking to enhance your existing safety culture, respond to health and safety requirements, carryout a fire risk assessment, undertake and maintain your current checks and control measures or simply to train your workforce. We are happy to work with any size company including small companies who may not need, or perhaps do not have the budget to employ a full time Health and Safety Manager.
Don’t wait until it’s too late!
Scorpion Safety Ltd
Call: 01394 617171 Email: email@example.com Website: www.scorpionsafety.co.uk
Call: 01394 617171
|Review Magazines. All rights reserved Tel: 01234 348878 Fax: 01223 790191 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Sitemap|